CAPE sees itself as a leader in transforming the what and how of education. Engaging students with powerful, challenging curriculum, along with the support and guidance of learning coaches and teachers, we can offer a learning environment that is different from the traditional model currently being offered in most public schools.
We believe that there are many paths to success. And we support each student's desire for self determination in finding that path and giving them tools for success in reaching their goals.
Susan Nielsen, Executive Director, M.S.A.B.S.
Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.
William Butler Yeats
Imagination is the source of every form of human achievement. And it’s the one thing that I believe we are systematically jeopardizing in the way we educate our children and ourselves.
Sir Ken Robinson
The following progressive education principles and research-based best practices form the basis of all of our curriculum programs:
- The curriculum is based on interdisciplinary, experiential, project-based learning.
- Multiple age groups in the same learning environment create opportunities for leadership, differentiated instruction, and reinforces peer learning.
- Learning is student-led, guided by learning facilitators.
- Frequent outdoor learning opportunities focused on the natural environment are integrated into the curriculum.
- Differentiated instruction allows each student to learn at their own pace.
- Physical and emotional growth is equally as important as academic performance.
- Nationally recognized Social-Emotional curriculum infused in each session.
- The non-competitive environment fosters intrinsically motivated learning.
- Due to the interdisciplinary nature of the curriculum, creative subjects such as art, music and drama are emphasized and integrated into the curriculum design.
- Every age level has the opportunity to learn a foreign language.
- Teachers evaluate student’s progress through portfolios and alternative assessments rather than using letter grades.
- Parents are encouraged to volunteer and be involved at every level.
- Curriculum opportunities will include amazing K-12 free offerings from top, world-wide universities, partnership with community organizations, and community experts.
- Skills for the 21st century.